Screen Solutions capacitive touch foils are a projected capacitive touch screen technology that allows users to interact thru acrylic or glass surfaces from the opposite side of the technology. Projected capacitive technology is made possible by creating a XY grid pattern of micro wires that pick up the touch points when a finger or capacitive object is used. Capacitive touch screen technology is something most everyone has used before, most touch screen ATM’s have this type of touch screen built into the display.
- Capacitive touch screen sizes range from (30”-94” 4:3 ratio) and (30”-115” 16:9 ratio) and (30”-143” 21:9 ratio) see a list of standard capacitive touch screen sizes
- Projected capacitive touch screens can sense a user’s touch through glass up to ¾” (20mm) thick and can even be calibrated to work through double glazed windows, glass with air gaps and with gloved fingers. Although in the real world applications vary and there are no two installations alike these are some general guidelines; we have experienced cases where capacitive touch screen foils have worked through glass thicknesses up to 1.5”
- Typical response time for projected capacitive touch foil 18ms – 50ms (depending on thickness or glass or acrylic). What this means is that the capacitive touch screen technology can sense a touch on the surface quickly with accuracy.
- Light transmission through the capacitive touch foil surface is generally better than 93%. Light transmission is the amount of light that the object in question (capacitive touch screen) stops the light from passing through the viewer’s eyes; in this case the capacitive touch screen foil only stops about 7% of the light as it passes through the material. From a tremendous amount of real world we can tell you that the picture quality will not be affected much at all; in the last few years we have never had anyone bring it up.
- The capacitive touch screen foil can be used either in portrait or landscape modes –see picture to the right for brief overview of screen orientation options.
- The capacitive touch foil is made with an active area and then the tail of the foil (where all the wires attach to the PCB board) comes off either the side or the bottom of the capacitive touch screen foil, you can choose the customized length and position where your tail comes off your touch foil by working with our customer service team – call Screen Solutions at 888-631-5880
- Typical output from the PCB board to computer is via mini USB (touch foil side) to standard USB Cable (computer side) this not only delivers power to the touch foils but transmits touch signal to the provided drivers on your PC or MAC (MAC drivers still beta only)
- Projected capacitive touch foil work with LCD TV’s, LED TV’s, rigid rear projection screen and projection film materials. Generally the touch foil needs to about 1/2” off the face of a LED or LCD TV to properly calibrate. When using a projection film you apply your capacitive touch screen foil to your display substrate, and then apply your projection film to the rear side of your capacitive touch screen foil.