Lamination Procedure for Permanent Version
ViP Interactive foil Permanent adhesive version.
VP soap solution
Touch foil comes with the permanent adhesive applied to one surface; the adhesive is exposed when the release layer is removed from the touch foil. The adhesive side is identified with a small red sticker
The touch foil is applied to the substrate using a 10:1 water/soap mix (50ml of VP solution soap to 500ml of water) and a squeegee.
It can take at least 24hrs for the water used in the installation process to evaporate sufficiently for the adhesive to bond. It may take 48 hours for all of the water to evaporate.
It is advisable to have two people available for the installation for sizes over 40”
1. The touch foil must be handled carefully to avoid creasing or tearing,
2. Always lay the interactive foil on a soft scratch free surface where possible.
3. A soft cloth should be used if the foil requires cleaning, clean from the centre of the foil out to the edges of the interactive foil.
4. If during the installation water enters the electronics of the Interactive touch foil please allow sufficient time to dry before using. If the controller is not dry when you connect the foil will not function correctly.
5. If you are then applying a Holographic projection foil like pronova HoloPro or Sax3d HOPS make sure to wait at least 48 hours for water to evaporate from the touch foil application then you must substitute a light oil for the application of projection foil.
1. Decide on the correct position the touch screen before starting the lamination process.
2. Thoroughly clean the substrate making sure it is, dust-free and free of any oils or grease. Dirt and other contaminants allow pockets of air that undermine the seal necessary for a good installation.
3. Use the water/soap mix and squeegee to clean the substrate just before lamination.
4. Apply a good covering of water/soap mix (50ml (VP solution) soap to 500ml of water) to the substrate using a water sprayer/atomiser.
5. Apply the non adhesive side of the touch foil to an adjacent window or other suitable surface you are performing the final lamination if possible by first spraying the window/wall with water so the foil is held against the surface: Fig 1
6. Release the release liner using sticky tape at the corner of the film: See Fig 2 Fig 2
7. Remove the release liner at the same time spray the touch foil adhesive surface with the water/soap mix. It is important to pull back the release layer close to the touch foil and make sure the foil does not lift off the substrate, (it is useful for the second person to hold the foil to the substrate). Fig 3/4
Fig 3 Fig 4
8. Wet your fingers before removing and turning around the touch foil for application to the substrate.
If you had to place the foil in the area of the final lamination to remove the release layer clean this area before you perform the final lamination of the foil.
9. Align the touch foil at the top of the substrate, and then slowly lower the foil on to the substrate. Fig 5 Fig 5
10. Spray the top surface with the soap mix to avoid the squeegee sticking during lamination
11. The second person should hold the foil lightly but sufficiently to stop the foil moving during the lamination process.
12. Remove excess water using a squeegee working from the centre to the edges of the touch foil apply an even pressure. Fig 6/7
13. The electronics should be securely fixed to the window once the installation has dried.
14. If applying to a piece of glass or acrylic substrate allow at least 24 hours before moving, to allow sufficient evaporation of the remaining water to enable a good bond to the substrate.
15. If water bubbles remain under the foil do not be tempted to pierce to the foil to remove, these should evaporate over time, in some situations it can take more than a week depending on environmental conditions.
16. Unless you are operating in clean room conditions it is possible that some small imperfections may occur during the lamination process, do not lift the foil to try and remove these, as the bonding process will have started.
For additional information see video of the foil application supplied on the VIP software CD